Sudbury–White River: Oct 29–30, 2022

Ten days after deciding to model the Budd Car, I was in Sudbury to ride the real thing (aka VIA 185 / 186 but let’s not call it that).

Our consist was VIA 6105-6217-6250 with only 6217 in-service for safety (fortunately just a temporary measure I don't need to model). 

Onboard, it’s amazing how much friendlier the train is up north — it felt like a small community.

Our stops were: Woman River (bye Rick), Chapleau (refuel), Nicholson (bye Peter) Swanson (+21 hunters), and White River (end).

At the time, I planned to include White River on my layout so I explored as much as I could before dark.
East end: 1957-built passenger facility (closed)

Sign should read 186 departs 7:00am

West end: 1927-built telegraph building (roadmaster HQ)

South end: CP 434727 complete with smokejacks in the yard

North end: Canada Post and the rest of the town

The next morning, I was up at 5:00am to be sure I caught my train back because the next trip wasn't for another 3 days.
 
Sunrise onboard at Missanabie

We got to stretch our legs in Chapleau on the way back, but I've got a lot more to say on that town now so I'll save it all for a separate post.

Comments

  1. Sorry you had to travel during the Buffer Car era, Derek. Glad, however, to see you got some useful prototype photos and thanks for sharing!
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a super useful trip and although I didn't end up including White River, it's definitely the easiest stop for first-timers (which I was). Hopefully I'll be back to ride it without a buffer and do more research soon. Thanks for the comment, Eric.

      Delete

Post a Comment